Saudi Arabia and Britain agreed with the United States assessment that Iran was behind the suspected attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday the attack on two oil tankers on June 13 was one in a list of Iranian and Iranian-backed attacks over the last month. It was a “clear threat to peace, security and freedom of navigation,” he said, asserting that Iran was disrupting world oil markets and that the international community condemns the assault.
“We have no reason to disagree with the secretary of state. We agree with him,” Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir told CNN on Thursday. “Iran has a history of doing this.”
Britain also shares the US government’s assessment that Iran is to blame for two attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, a source at Britain’s foreign ministry said, when asked about the US assessment, declining to give further details.
The United Kingdom also warned Iran that these actions were “deeply unwise,” Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said.
“This is deeply worrying and comes at a time of already huge tension. I have been in contact with (US Secretary of State Mike) Pompeo and, while we will be making our own assessment soberly and carefully, our starting point is obviously to believe our US allies,” Hunt said in a statement. read more…