A potentially deadly brain-eating amoeba has been detected in a Louisiana neighborhood’s drinking water — the third time the terrifying discovery has been madein the same parish since 2015, reports said.
Naegleria fowleri, which causes fatal brain swelling and tissue destruction, was found over the weekend in Terrebonne Parish, deep in the Louisiana bayou about an hour south of New Orleans, WWL-TV reported.
“It kinda freaks me out because this is my home, I can’t do what I usually do,” Lindsey Dupre told WWL-TV.
“I want to know I’m secure rather than freak out over an amoeba.”
PATIENTS BEING TESTED FOR HIV AFTER NURSE REUSED SYRINGES
All freshwater sources in the parish have been affected, including drinking water, the water in the bayous and pools, plus water used for showers and baths.
The water is “perfectly safe to drink,” claimed Michael Sobert from Consolidated Waterworks, “it’s just not safe to get up your nose.” read more…
Health officials in the state of Kerala are on high alert after tests on animals thought to be carriers for the Nipah virus, including bats, cattle, goats and pigs, showed no sign of the disease. Nipah manifests with flu-like symptoms and can cause encephalitis – inflammation of the brain – which can lead to brain damage and death. There is no vaccine for the disease.
Kerala’s animal husbandry officer, A Mohandas, told Reuters that his team are now collecting samples from fruit bats in Peramba, a town in the Kozhikode district in the center of the state. Peramba is thought to be the epicenter of the outbreak.